While the Lenovo brand came into existence only in 2004, the company has a much longer history. In 1984, Legend Holdings was formed with 25,000 RMB in a guard house in China. The company was incorporated in Hong Kong in 1988 and would grow to be the largest PC company in China. Legend Holdings changed its name to Lenovo in 2004 and, in 2005, acquired the former Personal Computer Division of IBM, the company that invented the PC industry in 1981.
Today, Lenovo is a US$21 billion personal technology company and the world’s second-largest PC vendor. We have more than 26,000 employees in more than 60 countries serving customers in more than 160 countries. A global Fortune 500 company, we have headquarters in Beijing, China and Morrisville, North Carolina, U.S.; major research centers in Yokohama, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Morrisville; and we have manufacturing around the world from Greensboro, North Carolina and Monterrey, Mexico to India, China and Brazil.
We create and build exceptionally engineered personal technology, but we are much more than a tech company. We are defining a new way of doing things as a next generation global company. We have our core strength in China, rapid growth in emerging markets and a unique global footprint. Lenovo builds on its dominant position in China to grow globally. The expansion from East to West- introducing our newest products in China and then spreading across the globe- is a new way of viewing the world, one we believe will be the way of the future.
That means we are years ahead of the game in terms of understanding what it will take to win 5 or even 10 years from now. That focus on the future is based on a strong history of success that is driving results today.
We have momentum. Long the leader in China with more than 30 percent market share in PCs, Lenovo is growing rapidly and winning market share in all parts of the world. Lenovo has realized strong, balanced growth while achieving a number of major breakthroughs. Achieving optimal balance in all that we do is Lenovo’s operating philosophy. This mindset encompasses every aspect of Lenovo’s business, from balancing leadership with consensus-building, to valuing both short- and long-term thinking. As a result, we have created a balanced business model and strategy that take maximum advantage of profit and investment across both core and new businesses.
Lenovo has consistently outgrown the worldwide PC market in unit shipments and gained market share across all geographies, products and customer segments, making it the fastest growing of the four major PC companies in the world for two years running.
- We are the number one PC company in China and now in Japan.
- We are the number one PC company in the world for large business and the public sector.
- We have been the fastest growing major consumer PC brand on the planet in the past year.
- We make the fastest booting notebook in the world. It’s a ThinkPad-and in 18 years, 60 million of them have been sold.
- We make a smart phone in China and every day our app store there delivers more than 25,000 downloads.
- We have launched a family of tablets targeting both the consumer and commercial markets internationally.
- We’re growing in triple digits in the all-in-one market worldwide, funding an application developers’ movement in China, and growing our retail presence from Germany to Japan.
Lenovo’s business is built on product innovation, a highly efficient global supply chain and strong strategic execution. The company develops, manufactures and markets reliable, high-quality, secure and easy-to-use technology products and services for customers who want technology that does more- because people have a lot more to do. Our product lines include legendary Think-branded commercial PCs and Idea-branded consumer PCs, as well as servers, workstations and a family of mobile internet devices, including tablets and smart phones.
We have a long-term goal of becoming the leading personal technology company in the world. We aspire to achieve this goal by leading in three key areas:
- Personal Computers: Lead in PCs and be respected for our product innovation and quality.
- Convergence: Lead the industry with an ecosystem of devices, services, applications and content for people to seamlessly connect to people and Web content.
- Culture: Become recognized as one of the best, most trusted and most well-respected companies to work for and do business with.
And we want to do it the right way- the Lenovo Way- with our own perspective, our own global point of view and our own commitment to building technology for people who view technology as a tool to accomplish great things.
At Lenovo we view our culture as a critical asset as important as an effective business model. We call our culture the Lenovo Way, and at its most basic, that culture is reflected in the statement: We do what we say and own what we do.
Our values serve as the foundation of our company and define who we are and how we work. Principal among them are:
- Serving Customers
- Trust and Integrity
- Teamwork Across Cultures
- Innovation and Entrepreneurial Spirit
Lenovo came about as the result of the merger of two of the most storied companies in technology and business: Legend Holdings in China and IBM’s Personal Computing Division in the United States. The merger was heralded as a watershed event in global business with the potential for integrating two disparate cultures, languages, processes and markets.
As a result, Lenovo embodies unique market possibilities in combining the best of East and West- joining North American and China-based technology players in the creation of a unified global personal technology leader with growing market positions in developed and emerging markets alike.
Everyone at Lenovo takes great pride in our ability to attract top talent from diverse backgrounds, representing a broad collection of nationalities and languages. We view our differences and diversity as a source of strength in building a collaborative culture with one unified language and vision: to build the world’s most exceptionally engineered personal technology products and services.
Innovation: A Core Value
Lenovo owns the greatest track record for innovation in the PC industry and remains committed to innovation in its products and technology. We will continue to leverage the spirit of innovation and history of technological breakthroughs into new product categories and drive future growth. Innovation is how Lenovo achieves competitive differentiation and drives new market opportunities, such as mobile Internet, digital home and cloud computing.
Lenovo products consistently win awards and receive rave reviews. They deliver the high quality, reliability and durability to meet our customers’ demand. The ultimate goal of Lenovo’s R&D team is to improve the overall customer experience while driving down the cost of ownership.
Lenovo operates 46 world-class labs, including research centers in Yokohama, Japan; Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, China; and Morrisville, North Carolina, U.S. ?Lenovo’s innovation strategy is based on a two-tiered approach to solving real-world customer problems:
- Focus the majority of development on ideas that can be brought to market within 24 months.
- Invest longer term in research targeting “game changing” big plays.
The company is rich in talent, employing more than 3,000 engineers, researchers and scientists. Lenovo’s R&D teams have introduced many industry firsts supported by a track record of innovation- including more than 2,000 patents and more than 100 major design awards.
Acquisitions, collaboration with industry associations, and investments in research and development even in down cycles enable us to stay ahead of market trends and deliver a comprehensive portfolio of products.
Lenovo’s global scale and emphasis on innovation also give us a degree of visibility regarding the health and well-being of the communities and markets we serve. Through this we are better able to innovate and deliver relevant solutions that address a number of key sustainability measures addressed in this report from climate and energy to environmentally-conscious products, education and employee voluntarism.
Our Commitment to Corporate Citizenship (CSR)
Lenovo is committed to being a responsible and active corporate citizen, consistently working to improve its business while contributing to the betterment of our local communities, the environment and society overall. Lenovo practices corporate citizenship in many ways:
- Product quality and safety: Lenovo is focused on the safety of our products throughout their entire lifecycle, from manufacturing, transportation and installation to use, service and recycling or disposal.
- Safe and healthy workplaces: Lenovo prides itself on creating a world-class experience for its employees at facilities across the planet- from our headquarters and sales offices to our R&D labs to the manufacturing floor. In addition to meeting the legal requirements of the countries in which we do business, we ensure our employees have safe equipment and facilities; are offered competitive compensation packages; and are supported by stringent voluntary workplace safety standards.
- The highest ethical standards: Lenovo is committed to the highest standards of integrity and responsibility, including respecting and protecting intellectual property. We provide guidance to every employee on a wide range of issues, including ethical business practices, securities trading, health and safety, and compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Concern for the environment: Lenovo is committed to environmental responsibility in all aspects of its business, from product design and supplier selection to manufacturing, facilities management, transportation and logistics and product lifecycle management, including recycling and reuse.
- Donating time and resources to philanthropy: Lenovo and its employees are committed to helping those less fortunate and, when disaster strikes, to lending a helping hand to those who are in difficult circumstances. In addition, Lenovo has committed 1 percent of its pre-tax income to programs and initiatives that serve society to address issues in areas of great need, no matter where those areas or issues happen to be.